Simple, fresh flavors and an innovative way with tofu—it’s blended with herbs and seasonings until creamy and ricotta-like—make this lasagna one you’ll want to make year-round. The key: Use the best purchased marinara sauce you can find, then drizzle each serving with extra virgin olive oil. Serves 10 - Vegan
2 14-oz. pkg. firm tofu, well drained
1⁄2 cup chopped fresh basil
1⁄3 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
1⁄3 cup pine nuts, toasted*
2 cloves garlic, peeled
2 Tbs. lemon juice
1 tsp. salt
1⁄2 tsp. red pepper flakes
1⁄4 tsp. sugar
1 Tbs. olive oil
4 medium-size zucchini, cut into
1⁄2-inch slices (about 3 cups)
5 cups marinara sauce
16 no-cook lasagna noodles (9 oz.)
* To toast pine nuts: Place nuts in dry skillet over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring constantly, about 3 minutes, until golden.
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Coat 13x9- inch baking dish with cooking spray. Combine tofu, basil, parsley, pine nuts, garlic, lemon juice, salt, red pepper flakes and sugar in food processor; blend until smooth and similar to ricotta in texture.
2. Put oil and zucchini in large nonstick skillet. Sauté 3 to 5 minutes over medium-high heat, or until just tender.
3. Spread 3 Tbs. marinara sauce over bottom of prepared baking dish. Cover with layer of noodles, overlapping slightly, half of tofu mixture and half of zucchini mixture. Top with another layer of noodles, remaining tofu and zucchini, and 1⁄2 cup sauce. Finish with another layer of noodles and remaining sauce.
4. Cover with foil, and bake 1 hour. Let rest 10 minutes before serving.
PER SERVING: 314 CAL; 18G PROT; 12G TOTAL FAT (1.5G SAT. FAT); 36G CARB; 0MG CHOL; 617MG SOD; 6G FIBER; 10G SUGARS
HERBED TOFU LASAGNA WITH ZUCCHINI (Apr. '06 issue)