* 2 Tbs. olive oil
* 1 medium-size onion, diced (about 1 cup)
* 3 cloves garlic, minced (about 1 Tbs.)
* 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
* 2 1/2 lb. kale, cut into 1-inch pieces (about 12 cups)
* 1 14.5-oz. can diced tomatoes
* 1 1/2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
* 3/4 tsp. salt
* 1 15-oz. can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
* 3/4 cup pitted black olives, chopped
* 1 12-oz. pkg. whole-wheat spaghetti
* 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1. Heat oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté onion in oil 5 minutes, or until softened. Stir in garlic and red pepper flakes.
2. Add 6 cups kale, and cook 2 minutes, or until wilted, tossing occasionally. Add remaining kale, tomatoes, broth and salt. Cover, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium, and simmer 15 minutes, or until soupy, tossing occasionally. Stir in beans and olives.
3. Cook spaghetti according to package directions. Drain, and return to pot with kale mixture. Cook 2 minutes over medium heat, or until pasta absorbs most of liquid. Sprinkle with Parmesan, and season with salt and pepper.
Per SERVING: Calories: 270, Protein: 10g, Total fat: 7g, Carbs: 46g, Cholesterol: 2mg, Sodium: 379mg, Fiber: 10g, Sugars: 5g
Vegetarian Times Issue: September 1, 2006 p.42