1/2 pound ziti pasta
4 teaspoons olive oil
1/2 cup onion, diced
1 1/2 cloves garlic, crushed
salt to taste
freshly ground black pepper
2 cups tomato sauce
1/3 cup fresh, chopped basil
1 cup fat-free ricotta cheese
2/3 cup grated, fat-free mozzarella cheese
1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. Bring 1/2 gallon of salted water to boil. Add the ziti and cook until al dente, about 8 to 10 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water.
3. Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until soft and translucent, about 4 to 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook 30 seconds more, season with salt and pepper, and brown.
4. Add the tomato sauce and simmer for 5 minutes. Adjust the seasoning.
5. In a large mixing bowl, toss the ziti, sauce, basil and ricotta cheese together. Transfer to a casserole dish and sprinkle with the grated cheeses. (This can be made ahead and stored unbaked in the refrigerator up to 2 days, or it can be frozen.)
6. Bake until the cheese is bubbly and brown and the dish is thoroughly heated, about 15 to 20 minutes; bake longer if the dish has been refrigerated.
This recipe serves: 4
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Baked Ziti [Recipe Brought to you by FoodFit]