2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
salt to taste
freshly ground black pepper
1 16-ounce can chopped tomatoes
5 cups low-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
1/4 pound fresh green beans, stemmed and cut into 1-inch lengths
1 16-ounce can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
2 medium zucchini, quartered and chopped
1 cup raw, small, shell pasta
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1. In a large soup pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, carrot and celery and cook for 5 minutes, or until the vegetables begin to soften. Add the garlic, season with salt and pepper and cook for 2 minutes more.
2. Add the tomatoes, vegetable or chicken broth and herbs, bring to a boil and turn down to a simmer.
3. Add beans and simmer for 2 minutes.
4. Add the zucchini and pasta and simmer for 10 minutes, or until all of the vegetables are tender and the pasta is al dente. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Serve the soup in large bowls with a sprinkling of Parmesan cheese.
This recipe serves: 8
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Rustic Italian Minestrone Recipe [Recipe Brought to you by FoodFit]