1 pound trimmed zucchini
2 1/2 cups rich vegetable or chicken broth
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
1/2 teaspoon seeded and minced Serrano chili pepper
1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 1/2 cups good quality, reduced fat buttermilk
sea salt to taste
freshly ground pepper to taste
Garnish: chopped, fresh cilantro or mint
lime or lemon wedges
1. Chop the zucchini in large chunks.
2. Add the broth to a soup pot, bring it to a boil and add the zucchini.
3. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 4 to 5 minutes, or until the zucchini is barely tender and still bright green. Remove from heat and cool.
4. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a small, non-stick frying pan. Add the onion, chili pepper, fennel, cinnamon and cumin and fry until onion is soft, but not brown, and spices are fragrant.
5. Put both the zucchini and spice mixture into a food processor and pulse until well chopped but still retaining texture. Pour into a bowl and stir in the buttermilk and season to taste with salt and pepper.
6. Chill for at least 2 hours. Serve garnished with a sprinkling of cilantro and a few added drops of lemon or lime juice to taste.
This recipe serves: 4 | Preparation time: 10 minutes | Cooking time: 5 minutes
Cold Zucchini Soup with Cinnamon, Cumin and Buttermilk | Recipe by FoodFit