3 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion
1 cup brown lentils, picked over and rinsed
4 cups water
2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
2 small kohlrabi or other root vegetables, peeled and diced
1 stalk celery, diced
1 medium potato, peeled and diced
1 large tomato, cored, seeded and diced
salt and freshly ground black pepper
plain low-fat yogurt (optional)
1. In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Sauté onion until lightly browned, 5 minutes.
2. Have kids add lentils and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring often.
3. Kids can add water, carrots, kohlrabi, celery and potato. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook, covered, about 30 minutes.
4. Kids can stir in the tomato. Cover and simmer 30 minutes longer, until lentils and vegetables are tender.
5. Season with salt and pepper. Have kids top each bowl with a dollop of yogurt prior to serving.
This recipe serves: 6
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour
Children's Lentil Soup Recipe by FoodFit