For the soup:
5 cloves garlic, peeled
10 Roma tomatoes, cored and quartered
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 large yellow onion, diced
freshly ground black pepper
8 cups low-sodium ... broth
1 dried chipotle pepper, stemmed and seeded (optional)
3/4 pound tortilla chips
1 bunch (1/2 cup) fresh cilantro leaves
1 avocado, peeled, seeded and roughly chopped
1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
2 limes, cut in wedges
1. Puree the garlic and tomatoes in a blender until smooth.
2. Heat the olive oil in a large stockpot over low heat.
3. Add the onion, salt and pepper and cook, stirring frequently, until pale brown and caramelized, about 10 minutes.
4. Stir in the tomato puree and cook 10 minutes longer, stirring frequently.
5. Pour in the ... stock and add the chipotle chile (if desired). Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
6. Stir in the tortilla chips and cook 10 minutes longer, until the chips soften.
7. Remove and discard the chile.
8. Serve hot, with cilantro, avocado, sour cream, lime wedges and some extra crisp, fried tortilla chips for adding at the table.
This recipe serves: 8
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour
Tortilla Soup: Recipe by FoodFit