• 2 tablespoons clear Italian salad dressing
• 1/2 pound asparagus, cut into 2-inch pieces, or one 10-ounce package frozen cut asparagus, thawed
• 1 medium yellow summer squash or zucchini, cut into julienne strips (1-1/2 cups)
• 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
• 3 8-ounce packages Boboli (six 6-inch Italian bread shells)
• 1/4 cup clear Italian salad dressing
• 1 ripe large tomato, seeded and chopped (1 cup)
• 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
• 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (4 ounces)
• 1/3 cup finely shredded Asiago or Parmesan cheese
*Asiago cheese is a hard cheese with a sharp flavor. Look for it in large supermarkets or specialty shops.
1. In a medium skillet heat the 2 tablespoons Italian salad dressing. Add asparagus and summer squash or zucchini; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Add mushrooms; cook and stir 1 minute more.
2. Place bread shells on a lightly greased baking sheet. Brush bread shells with the 1/4 cup Italian salad dressing. Using a slotted spoon, top bread shells with the cooked asparagus mixture. Top with chopped tomato; sprinkle with pepper. Combine mozzarella cheese and Asiago or Parmesan cheese; sprinkle over pizzas.
3. Bake in a 400 degree F oven about 8 minutes or until cheese melts and pizzas are heated through. Cut the pizzas into wedges to serve. Makes 12 appetizer servings.
Better Homes and Gardens: October 2004