Serves 4 -- Egg- and Dairy-free
The striking red-orange hue of this richly flavored sauce contrasts beautifully with the dark green spinach.
10 oz. whole grain pasta (any shape)
2 10-oz. pkg. fresh baby spinach, rinsed
2 12.3-oz. containers firm silken tofu
1 12-oz. jar roasted red peppers with garlic
2 heaping Tbs. small capers, drained
1. Bring large pot of water to a boil. Cook pasta according to package directions, until al dente.
2. Meanwhile, put spinach in large, deep skillet or saucepan (cook in batches if necessary) with 2 Tbs. water. Stir greens over medium-high heat until wilted. Cover, reduce heat to low, and cook 1 to 2 minutes more, or until tender. Remove pan from heat.
3. Combine tofu, peppers and 3?4 tsp. salt in food processor or blender; process until smooth and creamy.
4. Drain spinach, gently pressing out any excess liquid. Combine tofu mixture and spinach in pan, stirring to blend. Cook over low heat, stirring often to heat through; do not let boil.
5. Drain pasta, and place on serving plates. Top with spinach mixture, and sprinkle with capers. Serve immediately.
PER SERVING: 370 CAL; 26 G PROT; 3 G TOTAL FAT (0 SAT. FAT); 65 G CARB.; 0 MG CHOL; 1 MG SOD.; 13 G FIBER; 6 G SUGARS
Vegetarian Times: 01-JAN-05 p50